Industrial Air Cannons and Air Blasters
Blast aerators to dislodge silo materials and fix silo flow problems
Applied Conveyor Technology Inc., also known as The ACT Group, is a distributor of industrial air cannons designed to combat material flow problems in silos, hoppers, and conveyor systems. Since 1991, we’ve been a core partner for many businesses in the industrial and construction industries. Our solutions range from dust control, conveyor belting, and material flow aids.
When you are dealing with bottlenecking, look to The ACT Group for assistance. We have effective products that are compact, affordable, reliable, and easy to install. Consider using these for any of your hoppers, bins, or silos that experience choked production. Here are some common problems leading to bottlenecking that you may see at your production plant:
- Arching is when dry materials are clinging to the sides of the silo or hopper and collect to form a bridge, just above the sloping section. This bridge prevents material from making it to the center hole for proper flow.
- Side sticking is a build-up of dry materials that collect on the sides instead of flowing through silo or hopper opening. It often collects material right at the opening and constricts material flow with a visible gap towards the top of the vessel.
- Ratholing is when dry materials collect on the sides of the vessel instead of flowing through the center hole. There is often a visible gap from top to bottom of the vessel’s center.
- Bridging is like arching and causes a visible plug lower down the sloping sections of the bin or hopper. There is no material flowing through the center opening at all.
Having poor material flow reduces output, decreases efficiency, and causes material loss. Your business may require more equipment maintenance if this is prolonged. Furthermore, you can see a loss of profits and opportunities if these conditions continue.
How Industrial Air Cannons Solve These Problems
Powered by a high-pressure compressed air tank, air cannons for silos deliver a quick and high-energy blast to dislodge stuck materials. In situations where the dry materials get gummy from exposure to moisture, an industrial vibrator may need to be installed in the same location for increased efficiency.
Compressed air cannons come with a solenoid valve assembly and are easy to replace as needed. The solenoid valve is designed in a way to eliminate the risk of accidental discharges. Those that use pneumatic air cannons rely on them to reduce outages at sorting facilities and prevent other material flow problems.
Browse our selection of industrial air blasters below or reach out to our technical field experts to help you find the solution for your need. We assist with product selection, questions about installation and set-up, troubleshooting mechanical difficulties, and more.
Flash Cannon® by ACT
ACT Flash Cannons are blast aerators consisting of a compressed air reservoir with a quick opening valve that releases the stored air in a sudden, high-energy blast. This blast is directed through a discharge pipe to aerate and dislodge material, and restore flow.
In a direct blast Air Cannon, the air in the reservoir or tank passes directly into the discharge pipe without bends or obstructions in the air course that impede the flow of air. This is important because the quicker the air discharges, the greater the velocity and force of the blast and, therefore, the greater the amount of material affected.
When used in combination, multiple Air Cannons can restore flow to hundreds, thousands, or millions of cubic feet of material. Air Cannons are activated manually or by a micro-controller based sequencing timer that controls the firing time interval and sequence of one or more Air Cannons.
Features and Benefits:
- Designed for High Temperature Environments - Special materials used to provide reliable, long term performance in hot environments. Can withstand temperatures encountered when used on kilns operating in excess of 2,000°F (1,100°C). Tolerates ambient temperatures up to 400°F (200°C).
- Produces Results Quickly and Efficiently - Quick blast of air permeates the material and dislodges trapped solids.
- Handles Big Loads - Air blast spreads out in a cone pattern to aerate and loosen a large volume of material at one time. When used in combination, multiple Air Cannons can restore flow to hundreds, thousands, or millions of cubic feet of material.
- Quiet Operation - Noise of air blast is dampened by the material being aerated.
- Energy Efficient - Air Cannons have low air consumption since they collect air and are fired intermittently. They require only a small fraction of the air used to operate pneumatic vibrators.
- Minimal Maintenance - Single moving part, no springs, no motors, no bearings, make Air Cannons easy to maintain for many years. No lubrication is required. Special synergistic coating on piston is self-lubricating.
- More Powerful Air Blast - Lightweight piston, short piston travel, direct blast design, and aerodynamically designed exhaust windows allow the tank to be emptied more quickly creating a stronger, more productive blast.
- Quick Exhaust Valve Standard – The Flash Cannon’s unique quick exhaust valve is permanently mounted. This patent pending valve was designed specifically for use with the Flash Air Cannon. It quickly evacuates air from the Air Cannon valve, guaranteeing a full, powerful blast even when the solenoid or 3-way valve is up to 100' from the Air Cannon. The quick exhaust valve also insures closure of the Air Cannon valve immediately after the blast. This prevents contamination from entering valve or tank.
- No Leakage - Piston designed to prevent air loss during blast. Special coated piston incorporates a seal that prevents air seepage between the piston and valve seat. Air loss can be a problem in blasters using a metal-to-metal seal.
- Fills Faster - Standard quick fill port allows tank to fill in less than 60 seconds. This makes rapid repeat firing possible when needed.
- Longevity - Coated aluminum piston is self-lubricating. Coated valve parts resist acid and basic environments. Carbon steel tank with corrosion and heat resistant paint. Piston movement engineered to prevent excessive wear and high impact.
- Ease of Service - All parts individually replaceable. If a part becomes worn or damaged, it is not necessary to replace the entire valve assembly.
- ASME Certified Pressure Vessels - All details of design, materials, construction, and workmanship of each vessel conforms to the ASME Code for Pressure Vessels, Section VIII, Division 1. Documentation available for each Air Blaster upon request.
- Five-Year Warranty
- Fan Jet Nozzle and High Temperature Nozzle are both available.
- For more information, please watch this video.
Safety-Smart Isolation Valve® by ACT
The Safety-Smart Isolation Valve® by ACT was designed to create a barrier between hazardous environments, and our equipment and workers. The valve is designed to be locked out for easy maintenance on the *Flash Cannon® by ACT, or any other cannon using a standard 4” flange assembly.
The Safety-Smart Isolation Valve® by ACT comes in either stainless steel, or chrome-plated materials, making it a versatile option for any application.
Make your facility a safer operation with the addition of the Safety-Smart Isolation Valve® by ACT.
*All Flash Cannons® come with a Safety-Smart Isolation Valve® preinstalled.
Features and Benefits:
- Designed for High Temperature Applications
- Reduces the exposure of hazardous environments to your most important asset, the worker!
- Rugged design to meet the most challenging applications.
- Can be retrofit item for any 4” flanged cannon on the market.
- Optional pneumatic actuator for remote open/close.
- 5-Year Warranty